Archive

A selection of buttonhooks which have been sold from 2007.

a brass souvenir buttonhook commemorating a Gloucester church, the story is as follows:

This brass fireside brass buttonhook with conventional steel shaft has the following inscription, St NICHOLAS ANCIENT BRONZE CLOSING RING GLOUCESTER . It obviously has a church connection but we are intrigued to find that it is commemorating a very early bronze SANCTUARY KNOCKER  which is now in the Gloucester Museum.

BRONZE CLOSING RING FROM ST NICHOLAS CHURCH, GLOUCESTER

After many years of dwindling congregations, St Nicholas church was finally closed for worship in 1967. The church, which still retains its Norman features, was well known for having a “sanctuary knocker” on its south door. This object is not a knocker in the accepted sense of the word since it lacks a beating plate, but is more properly an elaborate form of closing ring and is an outstanding example of English medieval metalwork. It dates from the late 13th to early 14th century and may be seen in the Gloucester City Museum who purchased it in 1969 after the church was closed. The principal motif, cast in high relief, is that of a grotesque with human head, flowing locks, long pointed ears, short stumpy wings and hairy forelegs each ending in a paw with four digits and sharp claws. Its design is probably a purely fanciful creation of medieval craftsmen, comparable with those half human, half- animal creatures to be found on illuminated manuscripts of the 13th/14th centuries.

Item reference: 3453
Dimensions: 6 and 1/2 inches overall
Condition: good antique original
Price: £18 GB
Status: Sold

a brass handled buttonhook, souvenir of Scotland with Scottish Thistle

Item reference: 3454
Dimensions: 6 and 3/8 inches overall
Condition: good antique original
Price: £12 GB
Status: Sold

a brass souvenir buttonhook with the image of  A GALLEON 1558

Item reference: 3420
Dimensions: 5 inches overall
Condition: good antique original
Price: £15 GB
Status: Sold

a brass fireside buttonhook with image of “fiddle player”

Item reference: 3429
Dimensions: 8 inches overall
Condition: good antique original
Price: £15 GB
Status: Sold

a WW1 washer handled Trench Art buttonhook with discs of brass, aluminium & Tufnol

Item reference: 3433
Dimensions: 8 and 1/4 inches overall
Condition: good antique original
Price: £18 GB
Status: Sold

a Victorian matching pair of buttonhook & shoehorn by Adie & Lovekin, established in 1879 at 23 Frederick Street, Birmingham. They are hallmarked for Birmingham 1896 and would have been made to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. ​

Queen Victoria (who reigned from 1837–1901) celebrated 60 years on the throne in 1897. Celebrations to honour the grand occasion — the first Diamond Jubilee — showcased the Queen’s role as “mother” of the British Empire and its Dominions, including Canada

Item reference: 3426
Dimensions: 9 and 1/2 inches overall
Condition: oxidization of the steel shaft otherwise good original
Price: £40 GB
Status: Sold

a banded agate handled button hook with octagonal facets

Item reference: 3432
Dimensions: 5 and 1/4 inches overall
Condition: good antique original
Price: £15 GB
Status: Sold

an agate buttonhook with lozenge shaped handle

Item reference: 3428
Dimensions: 4 and 3/4 inches overall
Condition: good antique original
Price: £12 GB
Status: Sold

an Edwardian silver handled double sided figural buttonhook in the form of a dog with glass eyes by Crisford & Norris, established in 1896 at 118 Vyse Street, Birmingham. It is hallmarked Birmingham 1906. This the largest in the suite of dogs produced by the maker

Item reference: 8575
Dimensions: 9 inches overall
Condition: good original
Price: £50 GB
Status: Sold

A silver handled Art Nouveau button hook by Levi & Salaman, established in 1873 at 18/20Upper Hockley Street, Birmingham, the handle embossed with a lady with flowing locks. It is hallmarked for Birmingham 1901

Item reference: 8545
Dimensions: 9 and 1/2 inches overall
Condition: good original
Price: £25 GB
Status: Sold